Yes! you read that right,a loaf recipe that is "OIL/BUTTER FREE'. This recipe is for all you Starbucks Banana Walnut Bread fans out there. The only difference, this has half the number of calories and 1/4th fat, don't you love it already :) ?
You might wonder how the bread can be moist, trust me yogurt does the magic.
Health Benefits of the ingredients used:
- Most of the other recipes I saw online used over ripe banana's, which I am not really a fan of. And also the nutrient content of a banana changes as the banana becomes more rip. An unripe banana is full of complex carbohydrates, but as the banana becomes overripe the starch changes to simple sugars. I just used ripe ones.
- I have used ground flax seeds, flaxseeds (also called linseeds) are a rich source of micronutrients, dietary fiber, manganese, vitamin B1, and the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, also known as ALA or omega-3
- Walnuts are amazing for skin and hair, they're packed with omega-3 fatty acids and contain antioxidants that boost heart health. They can also reduce risk of diabetes and can help you deal with stress
Materials Required to Try This DIY:
- 1 cup Multigrain flour
- 2 tpbs flax ground seeds
- 1/4th teaspoon salt
- 3/4th teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4th cup brown sugar
- 1 egg (If you don't eat egg, replace with 1/2 cup of apple sauce )
- 1.5 Medium size bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 table spoon honey
- 2 table spoons greek yogurt
- 10 walnut halves, chopped
- 8 dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
- Blend bananas, egg and brown sugar for a minute or so till smooth.
- Add honey, vanilla and yogurt to the blended mixture and mix well.
- Whisk together the flour, ground flax seed, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold the blended(banana,egg, brown sugar, honey, vanilla and yogurt) mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the walnuts and dates.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.(If you wish sprinkle some oats on top, like I did in the picture below, to add some texture and color :) )
- Bake loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick
- Let it cool down for a while before you slice it up.
Be sure to keep up with my behind the scenes on Instagram and inspiration collections on Pinterest.